[U-Boot] Standalone Application Images support (bootm)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Sep 30 18:12:21 CEST 2008

Dear "Rodrigo Vilar",

please keep the mailing list copied.

In message <5fe3f7850809300849v22a0c987q83b4c8e5847482fb at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > > Are "Standalone Applications" supported in the current u-boot (GIT repo)?
> >
> > Yes, of course.
>
> I am very happy to hear that. However the manual states "The bootm command
> is used to start operating system images." and Standalone Applications were
> supported on u-boot 1.2.0.

Standalone Applications are no operating systems,m so "bootm" is the
wrong command.

Standalone Applications have been supported virtually forever.

> > I recommend you start reading the documentation, especally the section
> > about Standalone Applications.
>
> If you refer to chapter 5.12 I had already done so. It has been very useful
> to download an run standalone applications however there is no reference on
> how to do it with image files and bootm.

That's because Standalone Applications don't use image files and
bootm. They use the "go" command as documented in the manual.

Is this so difficult?

> appreciate the work you are doing with u-boot, however I also think you have
> overlooked my questions.

No, I haven't. If I tell you to read the documentation I  am  usually
sure that the solution is theree. And the very first example (5.12.1.
"Hello  World" Demo) indeed shows how to run a SA application (not to
mention that there is at least one relevant FAQ entry).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
When it is incorrect, it is, at least *authoritatively* incorrect.
                                    - Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy