[U-Boot] ppc: using d-cache for C stack and as cache at the same time?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 1 11:14:36 CEST 2009

Dear Jens Gehrlein,

In message <49D323E5.9080100 at tqs.de> you wrote:

> AFAIK, while running from flash, u-boot uses (part of) d-cache on some
> platforms for the C stack. I think, it's on MPC83xx and MPC85xx?
>
> Does anybody know, if I can use the remaining part of the d-cache
> as normal d-cache, e.g. to generate bursts on the SDRAM interface
> while testing the RAM?

On which platform?

Note that implementing a memory test  that  actually  triggers  burst
mode  accesses  is really, really tricky. You probably do NOT want to
do this while running from flash  (i.  e.  from  a  very  restrictive
envrionment).  You  might want to have a look at examples/test_burst*
but note that this code was written for a MPC8xx system,  so  changes
will be required for 83xx or 85xx.

Also note that a much more reliable test for burst mode errors is to
boot Linux with root file system over NFS and then compile the Linux
kernel on the target.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Bus error -- driver executed.