[U-Boot] u-boot depends on toolchain

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 1 15:47:11 CEST 2009

Dear Stevan Ignjatovic,

In message <1238580375.15731.11.camel at stevan> you wrote:
> When I cross-compile u-boot prepared for my custom made board with
> mpc885 (CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_8xx-) using the toolchain found in eldk 4.2
> (gcc version 4.2.2) u-boot doesn't boot because of an exception:
> However, when I cross-compile it using older toolchain (gcc version
> 3.3.2) everything's fine:
> Why does this happen?

Well,  we don't know your code, so it is difficult to comment on it?

One likely problem might be that you access device registers  through
pointers  instead  of  using  the  correct  accessor  functions, thus
missing required memory barrier /  eieio  /  sync  instructions  etc.
Recent  compiler  versions  optimize  much better that older ones, so
they might optimize away certain parts of such incorrect code.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The universe, they said, depended for its operation on the balance of
four forces which they identified as charm,  persuasion,  uncertainty
and bloody-mindedness.      -- Terry Pratchett, "The Light Fantastic"