[U-Boot] Problem booting image + device tree (MPC5200B)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 1 15:53:35 CEST 2009

Dear "Nandini Hengen",

In message <B11FC910ABEE42FDA27A3D279E222940 at cerec> you wrote:

>                   I currently have a problem with the device tree - the
> kernel hangs after unpacking and trying to load the device tree.
> U-Boot Version 1.2 incl. downloaded patches
> combination with U-Boot 1.1.4). I also found a thread which recommended
> using the newest U-Boot version and loading the dtb file using tftp into RAM
> separately. Since then I've been using U-Boot 1.2. Until now non of the
> kernel images generated seem to load (apart from the image the module was
> originally shipped with)

Rigth. The U-Boot versions you mntion are way too old to know about
device tree handling.

> I tried this using two phytec modules - both of which are non-functional at

Well, and incorrect kernel will not render a board non-functional.

> I'm currently wondering whether to send back the modules to Phytec or
> compiling a different kernel and device tree would help.

I recommend to get a recent version of U-Boot running.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The night sky over the planet Krikkit is the least interesting  sight
in the entire Universe.
                 - Douglas Adams _Life, the Universe, and Everything_