[U-Boot] pending patches website

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Apr 2 15:25:53 CEST 2009

On Apr 2, 2009, at 7:44 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> On Thursday 02 April 2009 08:32:00 Detlev Zundel wrote:
>>> not so long ago there was some custom thingy that was running on the
>>> u-boot website that'd automatically grab patches from the mailing
>>> list
>>> and try to file them away so they wouldnt get lost.  but i cant
>>> seem to
>>> find it any more. is it gone ?
>>
>> No, it is not gone, it only starts to bitrot :(
>>
>> It also never by itself grabbed patches, but the idea was to post the
>> patches to its own email account which in turn sent
>> acknowledgements to
>> the mailinglist _including_ a unique tracking number which was needed
>> for automatic handling of follow-up mail.
>>
>> Unfortunately the original implementor is not available anymore and
>> we
>> currently do not see how to finish the missing bits, especially the
>> automatic handling of the status of patches.
>>
>> If someone on this list with (solid) Perl knowledge volunteers to
>> pick
>> up the strings, let me know offlist.
>
> thanks, that was the site i was looking for
>
> maybe the lack of automation is a problem ?  having a completely
> custom system
> is also a problem ...
>
> would patchwork satisfy 	the same tracking needs ?  benefits there
> are:
> - automation
> - someone else does the work of developing it
> - all discussion stays tied to mailing list
> - it's already being used by many kernel trees
>
> dont take this as "i love patchwork" ... ive never actually used it,
> but if
> it's gaining traction in major projects like the kernel, then having
> u-boot be
> the same is one less system for developers/contributors to have to
> be familiar
> with ...

I would suggest patchworks as well just because there are those of us
already using it w/the kernel community and having a similar work flow
for u-boot is always nice :)

If desired we can ask the ozlab.org guys to host a u-boot patchwork if
its something we want to try out.

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/

- k