[U-Boot] use of C99

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 8 21:28:32 CEST 2009

Dear Kumar Gala,

In message <4A0B9AAA-4714-4C27-84A7-22FCE4D91DDA at freescale.com> you wrote:
> I was wondering if there was any reason we avoid C99 features in u-
> boot source.
>
> Specifically the ability to declare variables in the middle of
> functions.

One reason is that I consider such code extremely ugly and hard to
read and understand.

> There are a slew of places that we have something like:
> #ifdef CONFIG_COOL_FEATURE
> 	u32 myvarrocks = foo * bar * bar;
>
> 	gd->neato = myvarrocks
> #endif

It would be even better to avoid such #ifdef's, or at least the need
for such special local variables.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Life is a process, not a principle, a mystery  to  be  lived,  not  a
problem to be solved. - Gerard Straub, television producer and author
(stolen from Frank Herbert??)