[U-Boot] Toolchain for 0map35xx

Dirk Behme dirk.behme at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 9 18:02:19 CEST 2009

Hi Gianfranco,

Ing.G.Morandi (Portatile) wrote:
> Hello to everyone,
>
> Few weeks ago, I've followed a thread on this list regarding the toolchain
> should be used to compile code for omap 35xx.
> Surfing on the net, I've also found a msg of Koen Kooi where he described a
> patch to be applied on /arch/arm/Makefile in order to let gcc 4.3.x work.
>
> Now I am not an expert of toolchain and I didn't understand what is the
> actual status, thus my question is:
> may I use the toolchain coming with the ELDK 4.2 to compile for omap35xx or
> do I have to apply some patches?

I don't know toolchain coming with ELDK 4.2, but for U-Boot for OMAP
35x you don't need a special compiler. A non-broken arm-linux-gcc or
similar will work. While bringing OMAP U-Boot support to mainline, we
explicitly switched to a more conservative toolchain configuration
(-march=armv5 instead of v7a) to enable more toolchains to work.

Try the toolchain you have and ask or report errors if it doesn't work.

Best regards

Dirk

Btw.: For other code, e.g. Linux user space programs which need
special optimizations, other toolchain might be necessary, though.