[U-Boot] incremental environment updating

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Mon Apr 13 15:11:59 CEST 2009

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 13 April 2009 08:12:44 Jerry Van Baren wrote:
>> Mike Frysinger wrote:

Hmmm, rereading this, if the issue is simply the time to erase a sector,
I don't think this is that big of a deal.  It takes ~2 seconds? to erase
a sector and env variables are rarely changed in my experience.  Does
your mileage vary?

>>> that depends on how you want the compatibility to go.  being able to read
>>> old environments by newer u-boots is reasonable, but i dont think having
>>> old u- boots read newer environments makes realistic sense ?
>>>
>>> in terms of actual changes, i had a couple of ideas ... the current env
>>> format is: <crc><env><NUL>[undefined].  so if we logically extend the
>>> format where [undefined] is <crc><env><NUL>[...], then all existing env
>>> storage would be automatically imported.  considering most env storage
>>> out there uses a bit value of "0" to mean programmed and "1' to mean
>>> unprogrammed, it should be pretty easy to quickly detect where the
>>> appended envs stop.
>> Another concept is to append a complete new env on every write.  This is
>> less efficient than just a delta, but has a substantial advantage in
>> that it gives the user a way to erase env variables as well as change
>> them.  I suspect it would also be simpler to implement.
>
> this is actually what i was talking about.  doing a delta would require the
> env code to compare the old env and "whiteout" variables that were set but are
> now unset, and it would take longer to boot up as the env code would have to
> rebuild using the deltas.

I'm confused, are we actually proposing the same thing?  When you say
"delta" and "whiteout" I picture additional definitions appended as a
delta env lump to the original env lump, not a whole new env lump.

My counterproposal eliminates the delta determination software and
totally eliminates having to invent a new way to "whiteout" to indicate
removed variables (IIRC, it is valid to set a variable with no value).

Further, once you find "the" env lump, the env processing is 100% the
same so the implementation of my counterproposal simply wraps that
existing env handling code with a "find the latest lump" loop.

>> Since flash can change 1s to 0s, but cannot change them back, you could
>> redefine the env storage to be
>> (note the added <next> at the start).  By definition, the valid env's
>> <next> == 0xFFFFFFFF.  To write a new env, simply write the offset of
>> [undefined] into the <next> location and then write a new env lump.
>>     ^^^^ offset of -----> ^^^^ 0xFFFFFFFF
>
> using a crc of 0x00000000 accomplishes the same thing and retains env format

Three problems:
1) 0x00000000 can be a valid CRC.  You either have a risk of failure
(granted, very small) or you have to special case that instance.  Note
that, if you don't handle the 0x00000000 case properly, you will
probably brick the board.

2) Handling a redundant env may be more difficult.  OK, that probably
isn't too bad, assuming you can handle the 0x00000000 CRC value properly
since a bad env would have a non-zero invalid CRC.

3) My <next> offset is much faster since you don't have to step through
the old env to find where the next one starts.  It also handles
Wolfgang's point with NAND flashes needing to be aligned to blocks.
(What do you do with a non-zero bad CRC?  Fall back to the redundant env?)

>> Either way, we would need a new command, say "compactenv" (kind of a
>> long command :-(, maybe there is a shorter German word ;-).  This would
>> erase the current env sector and rewrite it with one env, resetting the
>> clock.  This could also be done automatically if there is no room left
>> in the env storage area (both options would probably be good to implement).
>
> i didnt intend for any external behavior change.  the env_*.c would take care
> of the appending and/or reset step.  every thing else would continue to
> operate the same way.  along those lines, i dont really see the need for
> "compactenv" beyond a helper command when debugging implementation.  there
> would be no need to manually run this step.
> -mike

OK.

gvb