[U-Boot] Help!Some memory doesn't work on PPC405Ex based board!

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Wed Apr 15 10:08:40 CEST 2009

Sun,

On Wednesday 15 April 2009, SunNeo wrote:
> I tried to add auto-calibration related configuration to my configuation
> file, but Linux still hangs at the same location. It seems error happened
> when threads of Linux Kernel tried to access the high 512m memory.

I suggest you debug this further, either by adding some printk's or using a
debugger to see where exactly the crash happens.

> Just like the Kilauea evb, there is no ECC on my board, and I use the same
> regisger setting for DDR Controller as Kilauea. Maybe you know, Kilauea
> uses the "MT47H64M16HR" DDRII SDRAM and only one rank. My board uses the
> "MT47H256M8THN" and two ranks. So, I changed setting of MB0CF & MB1CF.

When using the 2nd rank you need to change the termination settings as well
(SDRAM0_MODT0, SDRAM_MODT1, SDRAM0_CODT). Using the original values from
Kilauea is definitely a problem which could lead to all kind of problems.

> I think I can confirm all 1024M memory can work well at U-Boot.

Again, you don't really know if the whole memory is working correctly just
because you are able to boot to the U-Boot prompt. Intensive memory tests
(with and without burst access) are necessary here.

> And if I
> add the parameter "mem=512M" to bootargs, and set "initrd_high" to
> "20000000", Linux can boot normally.

Understood. I still think that this is a problem with incorrect SDRAM
configuration. Take a look at the termination registers mentioned above and
configure them correctly.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de