[U-Boot] Linux hangs when uncompressing kernel image: linux-2.6.26

"Marco Antônio Possamai" marco.possamai at mail.com
Fri Apr 17 04:11:21 CEST 2009

Hello

I've been working on building a 2.6.26 linux kernel to the mpc5200Lite
PowerPc board. However, I am unable to boot the system using the
generated image.

I am using what seems to be the latest U-Boot for the job. Got it from
www.denx.de/git/u-boot.git.

I'm using the device tree compiler dtc-v1.2.0 to compile the device tree
source into a device tree blob. Got it at:
http://jdl.com/software/dtc-latest.tgz

For the device, my design procedure is the following:

1. In the first step I generate the uImage file ('make ARCH=powerpc
zImage'), the corresponding lite5200b.dts and compile it to
lite5200b.dtb.
2. Afterwards, I do the U-Boot configs. I define 0x00600000 as the device
tree address and 0x00200000 as the uImage's.
3. Finally, I transfer them all (using tftp for each, of course) and try
to boot: 'bootm 0x00200000 - 0x00600000'

The result is that the console hangs...

Does anyone have any idea of why it happens? I checked a similar problem
at the
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/LinuxHangsAfterUncompressingKernel, and
I'm almost convinced that it is probably a bd_info problem, concerning
the definitions of the kernel's IMAP_ADDR and the CFG_IMMR of U-Boot to
be unmatching.

If that is the case, how/where can I correct it? Which files should I
look for?

Thanks for the attention.

Marco Antônio Possamai

Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina

--
It's News. It's Reviews. It's Interviews. It's Free. What Are You Waiting For?
www.movieline.com