[U-Boot] [ANNOUNCE] Kconfig support

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Sat Apr 18 21:18:32 CEST 2009

On Saturday 18 April 2009 14:54:41 Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message Mike wrote:
> > > 	I've upload on the u-boot-arm tree in kconfig branch
> > > 	some patch on which I work to all us to use Kconfig

> > i thought this was one of the points of u-boot-2 ?
>
> u-boot-v2 is an interesting approach in several aspects, but since it
> was made publicly visible nearly two years ago it did not collect
> much of a community around it. From my (strictly personal) point of
> view, one show stopper is that there is no migration path - if you
> want to go u-boot-v2, you have to throw away all what is in mainline.
> And there is a lot of things that are not available in v2.

so, does it make sense to look at the feature set that v2 brings to the table
and get it into u-boot v1 ?  ive never personally looked at v2, but if it
means i need to redo all of my Blackfin core/board code, that doesnt sound
very appealing at all ...

> So it does make perfect sense to me to add features like Kconfig
> support to mainline.

i'm not saying it doesnt make sense, just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing
anything obvious.
-mike