[U-Boot] [ANNOUNCE] Kconfig support

Robert Schwebel r.schwebel at pengutronix.de
Sun Apr 19 21:48:02 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 08:54:41PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> u-boot-v2 is an interesting approach in several aspects, but since it
> was made publicly visible nearly two years ago it did not collect much
> of a community around it.

Right; part of the reason is it was always something we used to solve
our problems, and we didn't do much marketing around it. Nevertheless,
it *does* solve our problems very well, and each time we have to work
with v1 again it's weaknesses show up again and again.

> From my (strictly personal) point of view, one show stopper is that
> there is no migration path - if you want to go u-boot-v2, you have to
> throw away all what is in mainline.

That was one of the design criteria - starting with a clean code base,
in order to get rid of all the old ugglyness.

> And there is a lot of things that are not available in v2.

Right; from what we need in our daytime projects, the most important
feature which is currently missing is PCI support. There are several
others which are surely also important (like i2c) but could be added
with very low effort if needed.

> So it does make perfect sense to me to add features like Kconfig
> support to mainline.

Right; if v2 inspires someone to take the ideas and bring them into v1,
it's perfectly fine - in the end, it's one of the reasons we started the
whole thing.

rsc