[U-Boot] Kconfig menu layout

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Apr 21 22:52:55 CEST 2009

Dear Kumar Gala,

In message <93A8F58D-8C13-4F72-AFF3-CF4FDF9A3CFA at kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:

> > In my experience, I tend to search for board names first.
>
> So back to the root of my question, do we just have one really long
> list of board names?

I'm not an expert for the capabilities of Kconfig, but one looong list
with hundrets of entries clearly makes no sense. We obviously need sum
grouping / structuring.

IMHO there should be several options:

- for those who look for a board name, we should support this,
  probably wih an initial selection by the first letter (case
  insensitive) of the board name.

  like this:	=> board name => M => MPC837XERDB

- alternatively, it should be possible to restrict the choice by
  selecting first processor architecture (ARM, PowerPC, MIPS, ...),
  then CPU (family) name, then board names.

  like this:	=> Architecture => PPC => MPC83xx => MPC837XERDB

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Severe culture shock results when experts from another protocol suite
[...] try to read OSI documents. The term "osified" is used to  refer
to  such  documents. [...] Any relationship to the word "ossified" is
purely intentional.                                - Marshall T. Rose