[U-Boot] USB key not recognized

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Apr 21 22:59:38 CEST 2009

Dear Amandeep,

In message <3d083b80904211200h413b85dfv253e4990b9456741 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Another question - How can I boot from this USB key. Can I put Debian 5.0
> Lenny image on USB key and boot AT91SAM9263-EK from there? If yes, how would
> I do it? I am new to Linux. Many thanks for your help.

You can do this but you better try to understand what you  are  doing
first.  A  USB  stick  is  not  a  harddisk  drive,  and  a  standard
distribution like Debian Lenny is NOT made for use on  devices  (like
USB  sticks)  that  have  only  a  limited number of write cycles per
block.

At least you should study carefully what others are doing  and  tweak
system  behaviour  to  minimize the number of write operations to the
root file system (start looking at things like  the  "noatime"  mount
options, etc.).

Then you will notice that you have to make the kernel wait for the
root device (the USB stick) to become ready - normally the kernel will
try to mount the root file system long before the USB mass storage
devices have been initialized. There are several ways around to
acchive this - look around.

Note that all these things  are  (1)  advanced  topics  for  embedded
systems [so you probably want to consult an expert], and they are (2)
completely off topic on this U-Boot mailing list.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Life would be so much easier if we could  just  look  at  the  source
code.                                                   -- Dave Olson