[U-Boot] Kconfig menu layout (multiple ways to show the same Kconfig configs?)

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Apr 22 14:44:48 CEST 2009

On Apr 21, 2009, at 3:52 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Kumar Gala,
>
> In message <93A8F58D-8C13-4F72-AFF3-
> CF4FDF9A3CFA at kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:
>>
>>> In my experience, I tend to search for board names first.
>>
>> So back to the root of my question, do we just have one really long
>> list of board names?
>
> I'm not an expert for the capabilities of Kconfig, but one looong list
> with hundrets of entries clearly makes no sense. We obviously need sum
> grouping / structuring.
>
> IMHO there should be several options:
>
> - for those who look for a board name, we should support this,
>  probably wih an initial selection by the first letter (case
>  insensitive) of the board name.
>
>  like this:	=> board name => M => MPC837XERDB
>
> - alternatively, it should be possible to restrict the choice by
>  selecting first processor architecture (ARM, PowerPC, MIPS, ...),
>  then CPU (family) name, then board names.
>
>  like this:	=> Architecture => PPC => MPC83xx => MPC837XERDB

Sam,

We are looking at moving u-boot to use Kconfig and was wondering if
you could possible tell us if its possible to represent the same
Kconfig 'config' options via two different menu schemes.  We have a
list of boards that will be 'config' options.  We'd like to have it in
one 'menu' that is just a long list of boards.  The other would be a
smaller subset that you "filter" based on selecting an Arch & Subarch.

is something like this possible?

- k