[U-Boot] Enabling smc911x driver

Daniel Mack daniel at caiaq.de
Wed Apr 22 20:08:11 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:31:52AM -0700, Steve Sakoman wrote:
> >> How did you set this MAC address? Does the hardware read it from a
> >> connected EEPROM or did you manually set it in your environment.
>
> It is manually set in the environment since the prototype hardware
> doesn't have the eeprom.

Assuming you're going to boot Linux on that board, you will face the
next problem that U-Boot will reset the controller before the kernel
boots and thus vanishes the MAC address from the chip. I sent in another
patch for that which contionally disables this reset so that the Linux
driver can actually read the address again and use it (with the
SMSC911X_SAVE_MAC_ADDRESS flag set). But as Mike Frysinger pointed out,
this is not the intended way to go as the MAC is only programmed if
U-Boot ever performed any network transaction. So there is need for some
other approach, just wanted to let you know.

Daniel