[U-Boot] U-Boot ARM merge strategy

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 09:42:15 CEST 2009

Hi Dirk,

Dirk Behme wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Ben Warren wrote:
>> Hi Dirk,
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Dirk Behme
>> <dirk.behme at googlemail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Jean-Christophe,

>>> Yes, I have the same questions. I already tried to ask similar, but
>>> didn't get an answer.
>>>
>>> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2009-April/051111.html
>>>
>>> Maybe my wording was a little unclear?
>>>
>>> Dirk
>>>
>>> Btw.: Now that -next exists, I can't find patch linked above in it,
>>> though :(
>>>

>> My approach is that once the merge window closes, new patches that
>> are not
>> bug fixes go into 'next', which is for the release after the current
>> one (in
>> this case 07).  When the merge window opens again, next goes to
>> master and
>> the fun starts again.
>
> Yes, this is my basic understanding, too.
>
> But there are always these ugly details ;)
>
> - What's about patches that remove dead code, unused macros etc. IMHO
> they can be handled like bug fixes and applied while rc?

I agree that cleanup patches should have more flexibility.
> - What's about patches that are sent while open merge window or
> before, but need some update cycles and are finalized while rc?

My policy is to look at the timestamp of the first revision.  If it's
during the merge window, follow-on versions are OK too.
> - What about patches which are sent immediately after merge window
> closed (hours - 1 or 2 days)? I already heard something like 'no
> problem if it comes some hours later, if it is fine then I will still
> apply it'.

Well, since communication about the window state is rare at best, a good
argument can be made for flexibility here.
> What I personally find essential for patch submitters is the patch
> dealing by custodian. It should be consistent and by this somehow
> predictable. This helps patch submitters to get a feeling for 'this
> patch has only a chance while merge window is open' or 'it's worth
> sending this patch immediately, it will have a chance to be merge now'.

Sure - consistency would be great.  Unfortunately every custodian has
his own approach and it's a volunteer workforce.  Definitely a goal
worth pursuing, though.
> What confuses me is something like patch A is applied short time after
> sent, patch B will be eventually applied later to next, patch C gets
> no comments. With A and B doing the same stuff, and maybe C sent
> before A.

Yeah, better and quicker feedback is a goal we should all be working
towards.  Obviously small, trivial patches are easier to review than new
drivers, and so are typically applied more quickly.
>> I can't say for sure if this is how all branches are
>> handled, though.
>
> Let's wait for Jean-Christophe opinion.
>
> Best regards
>
> Dirk