[U-Boot] U-Boot ARM merge strategy

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Apr 25 15:53:09 CEST 2009

Dear David,

in message <200904250555.17450.david-b at pacbell.net> you wrote:

> I think the questions on this topic reflect a reality that
> such status updates aren't yet visible enough.  (The original
> question was generic, not ARM-specific.)

I'm not going to push this information down people's throats. I  love
living  free.  Those  who want that information can pick it up, those
who don't will not get bothered.

Is it really too much to ask that people have a look at the U-Boot web
page every now and then? Is it really so difficult to find our when
the merge window ends? Just type "u-boot merge window" at google and
click on the very first link.

> > Maybe I pout a little more meaning in the words "release candiate".
>
> ISTR that Linus has said on occasion that "RC" doesn't
> mean "release candidate"!

He. This is his interpretation, then. I take the freedom to use a
different one :-)

> You're not actually running the "merge window" quite like
> Linux does; that "backlog" is one differentiator.

Well, yes, I know. The tiome when I get the pull requests from the
custodians is another one - being a major contribution to the former.

> > That's why we still have no "rc" in the current release cycle.
>
> May be worth reconsidering that, if for no other reason than
> to make intermedite milestones less opaque ... example, there
> was no suitably titled announcement in the list archives that
> the 2009.05 release got re-labeled, but I did eventually find
>
>   http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2009-April/050339.html

Yes, that was when we discussed the change.

I edited the web page within the same hour, IIRC.

> When the RC label just means "we only integrate bugfixes now",
> that communicates such status with very little work.  If folk
> miss some webpage, or mailing list post, they'll still know.

Please allow me to stick with RC = release candidate, i. e. something
that is at least reasonably compile  tested  and  has  at  least  the
majority of patches included.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A quarrel is quickly settled when deserted by one party; there is  no
battle unless there be two.                                  - Seneca