[U-Boot] U-Boot ARM merge strategy

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 18:13:48 CEST 2009

Hi Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Ben Warren,
>
> In message <49F2BED7.9070600 at gmail.com> you wrote:
>
>>> - What about patches which are sent immediately after merge window
>>> closed (hours - 1 or 2 days)? I already heard something like 'no
>>> problem if it comes some hours later, if it is fine then I will still
>>> apply it'.
>>>

>> Well, since communication about the window state is rare at best, a good
>> argument can be made for flexibility here.
>>

> While I agree on your comment on flexibility, I strongly repudiate
> the statement that the MW state is not clearly communicated. Please
> have a look at http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/U-Boot/ReleaseCycle and
> then tell me what exactly is not clear enough.

I agree that the web site clearly tells the release cycle timeline, and
apparently there's lots of chatter on IRC about it, but since the ML is
supposedly the primary medium for U-boot information it probably
wouldn't hurt to send an e-mail or two.  I imagine the technology exists
to make such a thing automatic.  OTOH I know you're a busy guy and
periodically checking a website should be reasonable.

I'm not trying to be a dick - just expressing my point of view.  I
should probably make more of an effort to use the IRC channel, since it
seems that that's where the real action happens.
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

cheers,
Ben