[U-Boot] U-Boot and CONFIG_SYS_DAVINCI_BROKEN_ECC

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 27 01:56:40 CEST 2009

On Sunday 26 April 2009, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:

> > > maybe add it in the feature-removal-schedule.txt
> > > will let people time to explain why they need it
> >
> > Hm... I don't think this is needed.
> >
> > Since there are no users of this code in U-Boot, we can as well
> > remove it without warning.

That was my thought.  If it were important enough to keep in
*this* source base, someone would have submitted some board
that uses it.  It's badly enough broken that I don't know who
would bother using it, though; anyone trying to use it has some
kind of (non-Linux?) support nightmare already.

> no necessarelly the boards Maintainer choose to use the other ECC but part
> of the U-Boot user may need it.
> So add it in the removal schedule make sense. We can evenif plan it for the next
> Release.

I wouldn't mind doing that.

> > > After my only request will be to use the same ECC as the mainline kernel
> > > or if someone explain why he need it add on other ECC algo

Right, mainline does not use that "broken" ECC.  I can't
figure out who *does* use it, either...

- Dave