[U-Boot] U-Boot ARM merge strategy, was: there are non-DM6446 DaVinci chips

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Apr 27 16:00:49 CEST 2009

Dear Jerry Van Baren,

In message <49F5B6AF.5060606 at ge.com> you wrote:

> > Maybe I pout a little more meaning in the words  "release  candiate".
> > After  the  end  of  a  merge  window,  there is usually still a long
> > backlog of patches that has not been merged, and after that there are
> > several rounds of debugging / bug fixing needed. IMO it makes  little
> > sense to call anything in this state a "release candiate".
> >
> > That's why we still have no "rc" in the current release cycle.
> Make sense on "rc" not really being a release candidate.  How about
> tagging "mc" for "Merge Closed"?

OK - but we have not reached that  state  either  yet,  I  think.  As
mentioned before, I have a problem to relate a deadline thing without
any direct impact on the code (as the closing of the merge window) to
a git tag which represents a certain state. "Merge Closed" definitely
represents  such  a  state,  but  then  we could issue "-rc1" as well
(using the same free interpretation as in Linux), and  it  would  not
indicate what has been asked for: the closinf of the MW.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
... The prejudices people feel about each other disappear  when  then
get to know each other.
	-- Kirk, "Elaan of Troyius", stardate 4372.5