[U-Boot] U-Boot Timer Qualification

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Apr 30 00:21:25 CEST 2009

Dear Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD,

In message <20090429192636.GD13941 at game.jcrosoft.org> you wrote:

> > We all agree that precision is a good thing to have, it it must come
> > at a reasonable effort, and there is no reason to drive it into
> > extreme precision.
> Personnaly I never ask extreme precision
> I ask to known the precision

What for? It is  not  important.  If  a  timeout  while  waiting  for
peripheral XXX to become ready takes 200 milliseconds or 210 - what's
the difference?

> as the timer is incorrect to known where we go is important

It is not really important.

> > But: it is not mandatory. Not in U-Boot (and also not in Linux, to the
> > best of my knowledge).
> As example when the timer was send by a dev at first and he will send a fix
> I think it's start to be mandatory to ask him to test it an a the real hard

No, I think this is overkill.

> It will avoid to have a new fix again and again
> which will mean that the timer is never been check in a real use case

I agree that it makes sense to run a simple test like "sleep 10" and
check that it's not 5 seconds and not 20.  But that's enough.

> > See my previuous posting. I don;t think that a generic test method
> > that works on all boards would be possible.
> but a docmument and code to do is good and will hepl the dev evenif we can
> known and support all boards. This will be improve with patch.

It's overkill. We can of course make patch submission to U-Boot an
overregulated bureaucratic procedure. The EU gives plenty exaples of
such regulations which keep lots of people busy producing nothing but
hot air. We're engineers howver. Let's be thourough, but efficient.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - "I think that I  think,  therefore  I
think that I am."          - Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"