[U-Boot] Normal command line behavior?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 3 23:58:30 CEST 2009

Dear Jerry Van Baren,

In message <4A773C1C.7080109 at ge.com> you wrote:

> It is a configuration/design decision: see include/command.h line 46ff,
> struct cmd_tbl_s, field "repeatable".  This is configured via the
> U_BOOT_CMD macro.
>
> <http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=include/command.h;h=55caa6eaf888cdb916d3937a5054ad862ec0e0ab;hb=HEAD#l46>
>
> Sometimes it is nice (e.g. sequencing through memory dumps), sometimes
> it bites (you found one of those!).  IMHO, it is enabled in places where
> it would be better to rely on command line recall rather than the repeat
> function.

The general rule is that any command that is non-destructive is
repeatable, i. e. a "tftp" will be repeated, while an "erase" will
not.

Indeed, today command line history makes it partially dispensable, but
often at the cost of more typing (think about using the "md" command).

> I think the repeat functionality predated the command line recall
> functionality, so it use to be more desirable to repeat the command
> because there wasn't an alternative way to repeat the command.

Correct, this, and because that was exactly what I wanted when I
implemented it :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
 The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.