[U-Boot] IXP425 TEXT_BASE

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 5 09:48:33 CEST 2009

Dear "Teh Kok How",

In message <006c01ca157b$e574acb0$1933000a at smartbridges.com> you wrote:

> 	I understand Wolfgang's argument but setting the TEXT_BASE to this
> arbitrary high address (DRAM_end - U-boot_size(_end - _start)) does not make
> sense. ...

Maybe it makes little (or even no sense) to you. But you should not
generalize such a statement.

>    ... I am new to ARM arch but in PowerPC and MIPS, the TEXT_BASE is always
> set to the reset vector ...

This is plain wrong.

See for example:

"board/tqc/tqm8xx/config.mk":

	TEXT_BASE = 0x40000000

	These are low-booting MPC8xx systems, i. e. the reset vector
	is 0x100.

"board/amcc/canyonlands/config.mk":

	TEXT_BASE = 0xFFFA0000

	This is a PPC460EX based system, i. e. the reset vector is
	0xFFFFFFFC

>                     ... and in ARM, the reset vector is at 0 or 0xFFFF0000.
> I have tried both values but still failed to boot u-boot on the board....:-(

No big surprise since your changes are based on misunderstandings.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Fascinating is a word I use for the unexpected.
	-- Spock, "The Squire of Gothos", stardate 2124.5