[U-Boot] U-boot "make config" errors

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 6 21:37:47 CEST 2009

Dear alfred steele,

In message <528f13590908061058p75cb632cubedee8990ceb7aa8 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I have been building/using  u-boot for uite some time now. I never had
> issues with it. Now, I am trying to use a versioning system to store a
> version of u-boot and then check out a fresh version from the
> repository on a different workspace and trying to compile it.
> I get the following errors on running config for that specific platform.
> u-boot]$ make mx31_config
> Configuring for mx31 board...
> rm: cannot remove `asm': Is a directory

Well, isn't this ia clear indication of the problem? Make sure that
incluse/asm is _not_ a directory. Make sure to check in only files and
directories that really belong to the source distribution.

Even better, dump your current versioning system, and use git instead
:-)

> I tracked this problem to be in the include directory and i can
> alleviate this problem by copying the whole "include" directory from
> my local "known to be working version".

At least make sure to run "make mrproper" before copying into the
repository.

> But every time i do a build on freshly checked out version, it gives
> me the same error as above.

Sure. In your case include/asm has been incorrectly copied.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
In the beginning there was nothing.
And the Lord said "Let There Be Light!"
And still there was nothing, but at least now you could see it.