[U-Boot] Handling of environment settings

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Aug 7 11:10:49 CEST 2009

Dear Alex Dubov,

In message <605712.94797.qm at web37607.mail.mud.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> Until now, custom environment settings were just defined in the board config
> file. All that had to be done is to edit the file, recompile the u-boot and
> flash it to the target.

Sounds a bit cumbersome...

> Now, however, this approach is not longer acceptable. This means, that
> environment must be either set manually on the target or maintained
> and flashed as a separate blob, which is considerably less convenient.

either ... or ...? There are many alternative approaches.

> So, two question here:
> 1. Is there a tool already which takes an environment description in some
> form and produces a flashable blob?

Yes, several, actually.

If you insist on a binary blob, tools/envcrc has a --binary option to
export the embedded environment as a binary blob.

However, I'd recommend to put your environment settings into a text
file and create a script file from it, which you can then load and run
on the target.

> 2. If not, is there some extra include file which is considered
> volatile and can hold user-defined environment settings?

No.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.