[U-Boot] cpu/mpc512x/start.S question: the compare test during relocation...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Aug 8 20:32:29 CEST 2009

Dear Mike Timmons,

In message <f55acef80908080754x6ad194dbu189a6ea1cc829dd7 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I have a board similar to the ads512101 evaluation board, at least that's my
> starting point.

Is your board really similar, i. e. did you copy all the CPLD stuff
from MPC5121ADS as well? Otherwise, ARIA might be a better choice to
copy code from.

> In order to boot-through to the console I needed to disable a bne on a
> compare failure under relocate_code: in cpu/mpc512x/start.S.

This typically means that you memory initialization is not correct.

> 1) Can anyone tell me what is going on with this comparison?
>
> With my comment removed, I've set a breakpoint (I use BDI2000) there and
> indeed seen that r20 and r21 are equal for many trips through the loop. I
> also set a breakpoint at 30: (compare fail) and I see that indeed r20 and
> r21 are different.

So the content of the RAM where the code got copied to is not
identical to the content of the flash where the code got copied from
==> RAM error.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The number  of  Unix  installations  has  grown  to  10,  with  more
expected."    - The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972