[U-Boot] taking the time pressure off board init

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 12 21:47:59 CEST 2009

Dear "David Collier",

In message <memo.20090812101728.10088E at postmaster+dexdyne.com.cix.co.uk> you wrote:

> I'm working on an AVR32 with a funny system of warm boots caused by
> watchdog which don't fully reset the watchdog or real-time-counter
> hardware.
> I think the system allows RTC interrupts to be generated during or after
> the warm boot which can cause havoc with the existing code.
> It certainly means you have to rush to the watchdog and disable it within
> a second, or you'll loop.

I have to admit that I don't understand what you really mean. Please
try again and explain in simple words...

Note that if you can actually disable your watchdog in software, then
it was not worth the effort of adding it.

Also, a second is a very, very long time. U-Boot should be trivially
able to trigger the watchdog in this time. It is able to do so with
watchdogs with just a few ten milliseconds trigger period.

> I have found it reasonable to add an cpu_early_init leading into an
> clock_early_init.

I have no idea what you want to do, or why.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Nothing in progression can rest on its original plan. We may as  well
think  of  rocking  a grown man in the cradle of an infant.
- Edmund Burke