[U-Boot] RFC: "make DESTDIR=xxx install" ?

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Thu Aug 13 22:29:40 CEST 2009

ksi at koi8.net skrev:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>
>> Many packages support installing the resulting binary in another
>> location, but U-Boot does not.
>>
>> When you use buildsystems like buildroot and openembedded,
>> you want to collect the end result in a target directory,
>> and while you can use internal knowledge about u-boot
>> to do so, it seems cleaner to me, to do a "make DESTDIR install".
>>
>> Since you may want to put the binaries for several
>> boards in the same directory (like /tftpboot)
>> it is not always good to call the binary simply u-boot.bin.
>>
>> I guess "make DESTDIR=<destination> TARGET=<name> install" would work
>>
>> Alternatively, we collect the final binary from several variables,
>>
>> openembedded typically calls the end binary:
>> ${MACHINE}-u-boot-${U_BOOT_VERSION}-${REVISION}.bin
>>
>> Feedback?
>
> IMHO it is not worth the effort... U-Boot builds its binary in source root
> and there is no "make install" at all. When one builds RPM or whatever
> packages (as I do) it is not big deal to move the resulting binary elsewhere
> with a single "mv" command.

You forget that things change, and the "make install" puts
the responsibility for handling the installation inside u-boot
instead of outside u-boot.

u-boot is not only u-boot, since you have u-boot-tools
which are used to create the image and also
tools which can be running on the target.

Assume that a tool for the target is added
and other tools rely on that tool?
Since you have not updated your external Makefile
to also "mv" that file, you will be delivering
a broken system.

The effort is probably considerably less than what is spent
on discussing many items on this list.