[U-Boot] RFC: "make DESTDIR=xxx install" ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Aug 15 12:42:22 CEST 2009

Dear Ulf Samuelsson,

In message <4A86814F.1070805 at atmel.com> you wrote:

> >> The important thing is however that the solution is
> >
> > Important for what?
>
> To avoid that external build systems break if anything changes in u-boot.

I don;t see any risk of such breakage, because U-Boot does not exactly
have a tradition to change these things avery few weeks.

> > Could you please explain which part of  this  has  been  an  unstable
> > interface?  As  far  as  I  can  tell PPCBoot / ARMBoot / U-Boot have
> > always created the "final binary image" as you called it in  the  top
> > level  directory,  and  also  it's  name  has  never changed. So what
> > exactly is unstable here?
>
> You mentioned yourself that Marvell want to have something different
> than u-boot.bin

New features get added, indeed. But this does not count here - we were
discussing stability of existing interfaces, and these haven't
changed.

> > I don't. The U-Boot project is driven by a community. If a clear
> > majority of voices requests something I would have hard times to make
> > my way.
>
> I am not talking about decisions, I am talking about you not running
> into problems, if anything changes, because you know it by heart.

Well, if there would be changes to any "install" interface you had to
know about these as well.

> > Fact is that I am using some scripts that are 10 years old  now,  and
> > there  has  never  been need to change them because of changes in the
> > PPCBoot/ARMBoot/U-Boot "interface" - not even when ARMBoot was forked
> > from PPCBoot, nor when PPCBoot and  ARMBoot  were  merged  back  into
> > U-Boot.
> You say that you did not  write any new buildscripts
> which did not copy anything except u-boot.bin?

No, I didn't day that. Don't twist my words. I wrote that I  did  not
have  to  change  existing  scripts because existing interfaces never
changed.

And that was what you complained about: the rist that existing
interfaces might change below your feet.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Unix: Some say the learning curve is steep,  but  you  only  have  to
climb it once.                                      - Karl Lehenbauer