[U-Boot] OT-ish: NOR flash write speed degradation?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 17 21:08:15 CEST 2009

Dear Jake Peavy,

In message <c5221b990908171058s5e3b5f76j1aa6c6e0abc269b9 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> As I feel this list is a good resource for embedded design minds, please
> forgive this elementary question.

You are welcome.

> As NOR flash ages, does write speed degrade?  Or do writes take place at

Yes, it does. Both erase and write times grow, sometimes significantly
compared to "virgin" values when the flash was new.

> roughly the same rate over time until the part reaches the write limit
> (100k-1000k writes)?  Any pointers in the right direction would be great.

We've seen doubling of erase and write times much earlier, say after
some 10...100 erase/write cycles.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"This isn't brain surgery; it's just television."   - David Letterman