[U-Boot] building u-boot using ELDK on 64-bit fedora 11

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Aug 19 17:23:44 CEST 2009

  i spent a few minutes earlier this morning building the latest
u-boot for my beagleboard using the ELDK 4.2 arm toolchain on my
64-bit fedora 11 system and since google showed me there was some
discussion as to how to do that on 64-bit debian, i figured i'd just
verify that what i did seemed sane.

  i downloaded the ELDK 4.2 arm iso and installed, at which point i
got numerous errors about a missing zlib library.  since i already had
glibc.i586 installed for other reasons, i just did:

  # yum install zlib.i586

at which point another attempt at installing ELDK worked fine.

  at that point, i just did the following for the latest "git pull" of
u-boot (the "master" branch"):

  $ make omap3_beagle_config
  $ make

and the build worked without a single diagnostic.  haven't had a
chance to flash and try it yet, but the end results:

-rwxrwxr-x. 1 rpjday rpjday 702862 2009-08-19 10:45 u-boot
-rwxrwxr-x. 1 rpjday rpjday 182500 2009-08-19 10:45 u-boot.bin
-rw-rw-r--. 1 rpjday rpjday 174549 2009-08-19 10:45 u-boot.map
-rwxrwxr-x. 1 rpjday rpjday 547628 2009-08-19 10:45 u-boot.srec

$ file u-boot
u-boot:      ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV),
statically linked, not stripped
$

look reasonable.  all in all, pretty simple unless someone wants to
point out anything i did wrong.  if i screwed up, it's just going on
an SD card so there's little chance of me breaking anything.

rday