[U-Boot] Porting to Broadcom BCM7038 (Hermes board)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 19 21:19:33 CEST 2009

Dear Detlev Zundel,

In message <m2prardbo5.fsf at ohwell.denx.de> you wrote:

> Not quite.  A quick check reveals that the bcm7038 is a r5000 based
> mips64 bit at heart (I'm a little confused here, there seem to be also
> 32bit r5000?).  So not only will you be doing a new cpu port (level 2),
> but really a new architecture , i.e. mips64 - so you enter the game at
> level 3 ;)

That's not quite correct. IIRC, the "purple" board also uses a 64bit
MIPS processor (5Kc). So it's "just" anothe rnew board port.

> So very likely you should start out by creating cpu/mips64.  In here
> should go everything which is general enough to also be of use for the
> next mips64 ports that come along.

I think this is not compulsory.

> > Would someone be able to assist me in porting to this cpu/board?
>
> I'm not sure whether you fill find a single person, but I'm sure that
> the mailing list as such will at least try to point you in the right
> direction.

And of course there is a number of companies who are specialized in
performing such ports, um...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"There is nothing  so  deadly  as  not  to  hold  up  to  people  the
opportunity to do great and wonderful things, if we wish to stimulate
them in an active way."
- Dr. Harold Urey, Nobel Laureate in chemistry