[U-Boot] Question about Netconsole

Jared Lewis Jared.Lewis at radisys.com
Thu Aug 20 20:52:21 CEST 2009

Hi All-

I have been having troubles getting Netconsole to work on eTSEC2 of a
MPC8548 chip.  I was hoping that maybe someone here might be able to
help me.

I'm currently using U-Boot v2009.01.  Using the bash script code located
in the README.Netconsole file, I have been able to successfully transmit
data from the 8548 to my host machine over netcat (using v0.7.1 on
Fedora Core 11).  I've tested that this path works consistently by only
piping stdout to 'nc'.

My problem comes when I try to send data from the host machine to the
8548 (piping stdin to 'nc').  It seems like the data is getting
transmitted by Netconsole (verified using wireshark), but it isn't
getting consistently received by U-Boot.  I set the ET_DEBUG flag to 1
so that I could get extra debug information.  On rare occasions I have
seen that packets are getting received, but this is very rarely.  I do
know that the connection is OK.  I am able to transfer files using tftp
without any problems.  On one occasion I was able to print out an
environment variable (a small victory), but it happened randomly.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jared