[U-Boot] Weird issues with u-boot on Microblaze

Dana Goyette dgoyette at calpoly.edu
Mon Aug 24 20:53:29 CEST 2009

Michal Simek wrote:

> this code can't be compiled - you have bad setting. MONITOR_BASE is always on lower address then
> FLASH address. Check that your ram on lower address than your flash - this is check by u-boot.bsp too.
>

> Regards,
> Michal

Thanks for that help, and thanks for updating your git repository.  I
had previously forgotten about the "flash must be above RAM" limitation.
I had forgotten, and had rebuilt the project without re-running the BSP,
after making the mistake of doing "generate addresses".

I've now rebuild the project and BSP with RAM at 0x10000000 and Flash at
0x20000000, but I'm now getting a linking error:

u-boot-microblaze/net/eth.c:202: relocation truncated to fit:
R_MICROBLAZE_32_PCREL_LO against symbol `board_eth_init' defined in text
section in
board/xilinx/microblaze-generic/libmicroblaze-generic.a(microblaze-generic.o)

I've looked up the error, and about the closest thing I could find was
this -- something about "longcall" attribute:

http://www.mail-archive.com/u-boot@lists.denx.de/msg04518.html
http://fixunix.com/vxworks/48336-how-solve-error-relocation-truncated-fit-r_arm_pc24.html

In Microblaze, do the absolute address values matter, or just the
relative positioning?

I also imagine that perhaps the CompactFlash issues originated from the
incorrect clock rate.

Thanks again for the help.