[U-Boot] How can I make a second serial port on a motorola 8248 Chip known to Linux.

AGKohler ANDREWGKOHLER at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 17:37:11 CEST 2009

Hello,

I am working with a mpc8260ads(actually QUICC 8248 processor) based board.
There are two hardware rs-232 ports available.
I can switch the console between the two by switching the CONFIG_CONS_INDEX
configuration variable between 1 and 4.
I would like to have both ports in service, when Linux comes up. One as the
console and the second to communicate with(i.e. acquire data from) a third
party rs-232 device. Eventually, the third party device may be a telephone
modem. Can anyone explain how to accomplish this, and if not, what
constraints are blocking the accomplishment of my requirements. Any
suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank You.