[U-Boot] U-BOOT quiet build

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 27 10:45:01 CEST 2009

Dear Mike Frysinger,

In message <200908270409.16115.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> you mean quiet build like you see with Linux/busybox/uClibc/etc..., u-boot
> doesnt support it.  Wolfgang rejected the idea.

That's not correct. I did not reject the _idea_.

I just rejected the implementation. I think it is fundamentally wrong
and broken to implement this feature which seems to be high valued in
many projects again and again and again in each and every project's
Makefile code.

Instead, it should be implemented once where it actually belongs: in
the make tool itself, so that _all_ projects can benefit from it
without adding complexity and increased build times to their
Makefiles.

But like in so many cases people rather copy & paste code around
without actually thinking.

> there is silent build like anything else ... use make's -s flag

...or run "./MAKEALL <name>" which has the added benefit of keeping
full log files in the LOG/ directory in case anything should go
wrong.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Probably the best operating system in the world  is  the  [operating
system] made for the PDP-11 by Bell Laboratories."
                                           - Ted Nelson, October 1977