[U-Boot] problem with read only nanad

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Thu Aug 27 17:46:59 CEST 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:32:50AM -0700, alex889 wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm working on a system having 2 NAND chips,
> the first one has the U-Boot and a basic firmware, and is read only,
> and the second has a new firmware.
> when the second chip is empty, the system should boot from the first chip.
> but it gives me many errors, probably related to the fact that it's
> readonly,
> does the u-boot tries to write something to the nand during startup?
> how can i solve this issue?

Depending on what the NAND controller driver requests, it could be trying
to create an on-chip bad block table.  If your flash is read only, then
do not set NAND_USE_FLASH_BBT in the options -- or if you want to use an
existing BBT but not create one if absent, provide a BBT description that
lacks the NAND_BBT_CREATE option.

If that's not it, then tell us which controller it is, and what sort of
errors you're getting.

-Scott