[U-Boot] ARM preprocessor error generating assembly dependencies

Dirk Behme dirk.behme at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 31 10:39:24 CEST 2009

Hi,

for ARM I'm including

include/asm-arm/assembler.h

in an assembly file. Doing this, I get preprocessor error message

include/asm/assembler.h:17:2: error: #error "Only include this from
assembly code"

This is due to __ASSEMBLY__ not defined, but It seems to me that this
message comes from *dependency* generation, not from compilation.

For compilation,  -D__ASSEMBLY__ is set and it compiles fine.

Doing

#define __ASSEMBLY__
#include <asm/assembler.h>

in assembly file fixes the error while generating dependencies, but
results in __ASSEMBLY__ redefined message while compilation.

Any expert here could have look to which options are taken for ARM's
assembly dependency generation? It seems to me that -D__ASSEMBLY__ is
missing there?

Many thanks and best regards

Dirk