[U-Boot] U-boot doubts

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Dec 17 07:38:28 CET 2009

Dear Chandra Sekar,

In message <67b11d980912162018j3febe826l91c6b52134123d37 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

>   why do we have two files(env_nand.c and env_flash.c) to manipulate
> environmental variables?

Because NAND flahrequires diofferent handling than NOR flash.

Note there is also common/env_dataflash.c, common/env_eeprom.c,
common/env_mgdisk.c, common/env_nowhere.c, common/env_nvram.c,
common/env_onenand.c, and common/env_sf.c

>   According to my knowledge nand is also a flash type then why we have
> separate file called env_flash.c or is this file will be used for nor flash?

NOR flash is a memory device which is byte-addressable by the
processor. NAND flash is no memory, but a storage device instead,
which needs to be read in buffers into RAM before you can access
arbitrary bytes of it's content.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Carelessly planned projects take three times longer to complete  than
expected.  Carefully  planned  projects  take  four  times  longer to
complete than expected, mostly  because  the  planners  expect  their
planning to reduce the time it takes.