[U-Boot] How to do a basic memory test test using BDI??

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 2 10:14:39 CET 2009

Dear Afzal Nadirshah,

In message <174230991E95D743B0C91DF471EF44E8434393F4BB at MTW02MSG02.mindtree.com> you wrote:

>       Can I write simple tests for the RAM on a PPC460 and execute it using=
>  the BDI debugger? If I don't have linux / u-boot up on my board, how can I=
>  test the RAM?

Except for most basic tests like writing and reading single cells  in
memory  which  can be done using the "mm" and "md" commands, the most
reasonable approach is a two-pass sort  of  solution:  in  the  first
pass, bring up U-Boot at least to the extent that it boots from flash
and has the serial console running.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
What can it profit a man to gain the whole world and to come  to  his
property with a gastric ulcer, a blown prostate, and bifocals?
                                     -- John Steinbeck, _Cannery Row_