[U-Boot] DNS Resolution for serverip-environment-variable?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 9 21:17:01 CET 2009

Dear adam.cartwright at bossmail.de,

In message <E1LWXyn-0001jO-Sk at www11.emo.freenet-rz.de> you wrote:

> is it possible to set the hostname instead of the ipaddress for the
> serverip-environment-variable. So that I can load the os-image from
> an tftp-server with dynamic ipaddress.

Yes, of course this is possible. You will have to implement a DNS
resolver in U-Boot to support such a feature.

But note that this will probably drop you just one level lower: You
will then have to store the IP address of the name server(s) ...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Probably the best operating system in the world  is  the  [operating
system] made for the PDP-11 by Bell Laboratories."
                                           - Ted Nelson, October 1977