[U-Boot] Query on timeouts with NetSetTimeout

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Feb 20 08:09:07 CET 2009

Dear "Pillai, Manikandan",

In message <19F8576C6E063C45BE387C64729E739403FA90441B at dbde02.ent.ti.com> you wrote:

> The NetSetTimeout() invokes get_timer() to do its operations. The
> get_timer() should return the counter value. It's not always true
> that the counter runs at millisecond clock. I believe the earlier

We call this a bug, then. get_timer() is specified to return tick os
one millisecond resolution.

If your code behaves differntly, it needs to be fixed.

> versions of the NetSetTimeout calls in u-boot/net directory used to
> have a multiple of CONFIG_SYS_HZ for timeout that could easily be
> used to get required timeout for different platforms.

That code was cleaned up some time ago. If there are board ports
which define CONFIG_SYS_HZ to anything else byt the mandatory value
of 1000 (like OMAP seems to do), then such ports are broken and need
to be fixed.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I've seen it. It's rubbish."          - Marvin the Paranoid Android