[U-Boot] Micrel Ethernet controller with SPI

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Fri Feb 20 20:42:16 CET 2009

On Friday 20 February 2009 14:17:10 Ben Warren wrote:
> Steven Zedeck wrote:
> > I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to ask this question as I am still new
> > to this list.
> >
> > I am working on a project using U-boot but the Ethernet controller is the
> > Micrel KSZ8851.
> > Does a driver exist that supports this chip? I assume it would be in
> > drivers/net/
> >
> > I don't have it in my version which is based on 2008.10
> >
> > Before I go through the effort to write one, I thought I'd ask whether
> > the U-boot community has one or perhaps someone is working on one.
>
> I wrote one for the KSZ8841 but it's not in the tree.  It used a memory
> interface, though, not SPI.  Not sure if that would help or not.  If you
> think it's close enough I can dig it up, though it may take some time.

the Blackfin BF518F-EZBRD board has the same micrel part.  we hook up to it
via the on-chip MAC and to control it, we use the SPI bus.  but we dont do
anything special ... we just turn it on in the board init code.  all the other
networking stuff is handled via the on-chip MAC driver ...

look at the board_eth_init() function here:
http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-
blackfin.git;a=commitdiff;h=e24cbd1d2cfddfe0f211eb1a5f2aad23e2a52c22

i dont think u-boot has the framework to hook up MAC switches like the micrel
part yet ... even the Linux kernel lacks proper support still (although
patches are floating around).
-mike