[U-Boot] Ethernet PHY LAN8700

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Fri Feb 27 15:51:20 CET 2009

Please don't top post.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style>

rk1825 wrote:
> I understand that if it is data sync problem then it should wait/hang at that
> place,
> But it is getting reset. When i probed reset status it says Check stop reset
> has happened.

Yes, that is hard to reconcile with print statements "fixing" your problem.

What is the link register and other important registers set to when your
program checkstops?  That will tell you what you were doing just before
you went <splat>.  The registers, in conjunction with a disassembly of
the module you were in before going <splat>, will give you clues to what
your pointers were pointing to.  Often those are very useful clues.

My best guess at this point is that you either have a memory
initialization (or layout) problem that is being masked by the print
statements (seems unlikely) or you are stomping on memory inadvertently.
  For the later hypothesis, by adding print statements, you have shifted
the memory location that you stomp on to a "safe" location instead of a
location that crashes you.  This would imply stack or pointer problems.

Good luck,
gvb

> We are using custom board based on MPC8313 processor, phy used in our board
> is LAN8700 and  U-boot version used is 1.3.0.

1.3.0 is getting pretty old. :-/  Any chance of using the latest release?