[U-Boot] Seeking PPC BDM resources for MPC860, docs for old MPC860 Eval Board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Jan 4 09:28:48 CET 2009

Dear Alex Perez,

In message <DB05811D-49A2-48E9-BA71-EF45C615F792 at alexperez.com> you wrote:

> Hi folks! I've recently acquired two MPC860-based eval boards made by
> EST Corp (now part of Wind River Systems for the last handful of
> years), and I'm looking to get it booting Linux via u-boot.

You can speculate that (probably very old) ports might exist, but  in
any  case  you  have to exactly identify these boards first. What are
the exact names / types of these boards?

> Additionally, I'm also looking for MPC860 BDM hardware I can make on

For BDM hardware you might look into the (old) MPC4BDM project, see
http://www.vas-gmbh.de/software/mpcbdm/ ; we still support this BDM
adapter in the GDB that is inclided with the ELDK. If you have any
other hardware, look into the UrJTAG project at http://www.urjtag.org/

> my own. Does anyone have any suggestions? I got these boards sans ANY
> documentation, and they have a boatload of DIP switches as well as a
> dozen or so jumpers scattered across the board. If someone would like
> a photo of the board, I'll reply with a URL.

He. Without any documentation you cannot do anything. You will need
detailed hardware specs, ideally including the schematics before you
can attempt to port U-Boot or Linux to such hardware.

Without documentation these boards are only usable as doorstops.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a  correct
one.