[U-Boot] Copy environment variables to another board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jan 5 15:13:57 CET 2009

Dear Giuseppe,

in message <4961D3D6.22933.3E9CEE at g.modugno.elettronika.it> you wrote:

> I think the best solution is to use Linux on the source board to copy
> the good U-Boot environment in a image file. On the destination
> board, I can download (by tftp) the image and store it on the Flash
> at the correct address. In this way, I'll use only U-Boot on the
> destination board to retrieve the good environment. From that, I can
> install kernel and root filesystem.

No, that is not a good idea, as this way you would also copy
board-specific settings lime serial number, MAC address etc.

> > You could (and probaly should) put the constant part of your
> > definitions into the default environment, and use a script image for
> > the rest.
>
> Just now I'm reading about the scripting capabilities of U-Boot. It's
> interesting. Starting from which U-Boot version they are available?

They have been present forever in U-Boot. They were added in pretty
early stages of the PPCBoot project, many, many years ago.

> Just another question. I have two redundant U-Boot environments.
> Should I copy both of them in two different images, or are they the
> same and I can copy the first into the second?

These are the same except for the valid flag (one byte at offset 4).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If programming was easy, they wouldn't need something as  complicated
as a human being to do it, now would they?
                       - L. Wall & R. L. Schwartz, _Programming Perl_