[U-Boot] Fw: TFTP fails when using network switch

Loren A. Linden Levy Alex.Lindenlevy at Colorado.EDU
Wed Jan 7 15:03:37 CET 2009

Hi All,

Is there something like ethtool in U-boot that I can use to see what
the network negotiated too. This is a fairly cheap netgear switch so I
do not have any diagnostics on it.

I will also have a look with wireshark when i get back to the lab to
see if I can identify what is happening.

Alex

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 07:52:58 -0500
Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren at ge.com> wrote:

> Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > Dear Ulf Samuelsson,
> >
> > In message <1231282371.32308.276.camel at elrond.atmel.com> you wrote:
> >> It was tracked down to the autoconfiguration of the
> >> Ethernet PHY, so one of the PHYs ended up in
> >> 100 Mbps Half Duplex (think that was the switch)
> >> while the other PHY ended up in 100 MBps Full Duplex.
> >
> > That would most probably be a bug in the U-Boot ethernet driver, then.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Wolfgang Denk
>
> If auto-negotiation fails, the default is half duplex (10 or 100 - the
> speed can be discovered independent of the autonegotiation by the encoding).
>
> Ulf's recollection that the switch was half duplex would indicate that
> the cheap switch did not autonegotiate properly, but u-boot did.  This
> could be a u-boot bug (not setting up the negotiation properly), but
> more likely would be a switch problem (not handling the u-boot auto-neg
> options properly).
>
> gvb

Loren A. Linden Levy
Department of Physics
390 UCB
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO   80309-0390
Tel:   303-735-6146 (CU) / +049 040 8998 4789 (DESY)
Fax:   303-492-3352 (CU) / +049 040 8998 4034 (DESY)
Cell:  303-332-2768 (U.S.) / +049 (0)151 5496 1831 (Germany)
Email: Loren.Lindenlevy at colorado.edu
url:   http://up.colorado.edu/~lindenle
This email has been cryptographically signed.
Search for "lindenle" at pgp.mit.edu
to obtain my public key which can be used
to verify the authenticity of this message.