[U-Boot] RV: Question about U-Boot for MPC5121

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Wed Jan 7 16:59:36 CET 2009

Marco Donadio wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> our team is working on a new telematic platform using MPC5121 device.
> Our Boar has some features of ADS512101 evaluacion board.

Good.  You have a starting point.

> We are not familiar with boot loader system because it's the first
> time that we develop a board based on operating system.
>
> We need some basic help to put boot loader in our architecture; we
> start with files in the directory "u-boot-2008.10":

Good.

> - please can you tell us wich files we need to change (in order to
> adapt them to our architecture)??

Sorry, no.  There is a ads5121 board already in u-boot, I presume that
is what you are "like."  You need to create your new board by copying
your "like" board and then find and change whatever is not "like".  Only
you know what is different, so only you can do this.

grep is your friend.

Start with Makefile in the top level directory, look at include/configs
at the ads5121.h config, look in the board subdirectory.

> - Whic files we need to compile in order to have a u-boot image???

Start by building a known board, e.g.
   make ads5121_rev2_config
   make

Make your changes (create a new board).  Build and test it until it
works.  It really is pretty easy.

> We read all the documentation on the DENX website but without success...

:-) You need to get your hands dirty now.

Read the README file in the top level directory.

> Thanks a lot for your help
> Best regards
> Marco Donadio

Good luck,