[U-Boot] Watchdog and u-boot command prompt

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 14 17:00:13 CET 2009

Dear Sachin,

In message <73FA539107892C4C8C7A5ACA10C161C85BE0E6 at MX2.AlphionCorp.local> you wrote:

> In the file 'include/watchdog.h', it has been mentioned that:
> 8<----------------------------------------------------------
> #if defined(CONFIG_HW_WATCHDOG) && defined(CONFIG_WATCHDOG)
> #error "Configuration error: CONFIG_HW_WATCHDOG and CONFIG_WATCHDOG
> can't be used together."
> #endif
> ---------------------------------------------------------->8
>
> It means I can't enable flags CONFIG_HW_WATCHDOG & CONFIG_WATCHDOG
> together.
> Am I right?

Yes, you are reading the C code correctly.

> I want to use Software version of Watchdog (CONFIG_WATCHDOG).

There is no such thing as a "Software version of Watchdog" in U-Boot.

CONFIG_WATCHDOG is exlained in the README. It refers to a platform
specific watchdog that is part of the processor itself.

CONFIG_HW_WATCHDOG (I admit that the name is a bit misleading) refers
to using an external watchdowg, i. e. implemented using  (additional)
hardware.

> If yes then what make the Watchdog resets inside 'serial_getc_dev()'
> while the code is being being executed in infinite loop.
> (The loop appears infinite if user doesn't press any key)

Nothing... Seems you spotted a potential problem. Potential, as so
far no 4xx system uses CONFIG_WATCHDOG.

I suggest you submit a patch?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it
frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
                                              - Franklin D. Roosevelt